Views

Friday, February 17, 2012

Somewhere in that Lane. . .


Somewhere in that lane,
Lives my childhood friend.
We’ve lost touch over the years
For we’ve our own lives to tend.

As I pass her lane quietly,
Happy memories flood in,
I want to visit her
But lack of time holds me in.

I carry on to my workplace
 mentally deciding to give her call.
But I get bewitched by life again
And eventually forget it all.

On a Sunday, cosy on the couch,
I skim through my friends’ list.
I stop at her phone number
But arrogance entraps me in a cyst.

She can call too,
I stonily mumble.
She has my number
AND my address, I grumble.

One fine day news reaches me,
“Your childhood friend lives no more.”
Of her chronic illness I learn
And the shock shakes my very core.

My stony heart now cries for her,
My cheeks burn with self hate.
When I could, I didn’t care
And now it’s too late.

Somewhere in that lane,
Lived my childhood friend.
Now I lay in remorseful darkness
with my ego to amend.


13 comments:

  1. Wonderfully written Kritika! I really liked this. Something everyone can relate to. Not overdone or over decorated and still very fluid! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Parth! Thanks so much man! Means a lot. :)
    @bharani. :D :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heart touching quotes!!!! From now onwards i will spend some time for my childhood friend!! No ego no more waiting from him/her to call me..

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me to get back my childhood days by your creative thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome it is..... :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi.. i forgot to say about ur handwriting.. It was really nice and stylish.. was shocked when hearing that u wrote it in a lazy mood. I was imagining if u write in normal mood how it'll be ??????? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HMmm....the lines...made me feel sad....

    ReplyDelete
  8. "But arrogance entraps me in a cyst."
    great line!! hits one in the pit of stomach.

    ReplyDelete